Preparing a U.S. utility organization’s standup of a new Organization to support SmartMeter Roll-out
Description of the scope of work:
Hired by a major utility provider in California to support the standup of a new organization that would support the new technology and services for a successful SmartMeter rollout. As an independent consultant, worked as part of a larger team to scope, organize and support specific Organizational and Change Management (OCM) needs for the standup of a new organization within a three-month window.
Business challenges include:
- Silo organizations currently supporting SmartMeter rollout and the lack of transparency as a result.
- Reorganization of separate entities into one organization.
- Executive turnover.
- New technology.
- Repeated attempts to align this organization in the past.
- Time: three months to assess and deliver on Organizational Change Management (OCM) needs for standup of new organization.
Nimble Consulting will execute using the following approach:
1. Quickly understand, think through and devise a plan.
- Analysis of current state against future state for functionality needed in the new organization.
- Clear documentation and agreement of benefits to business owners and future entrepreneurs.
- Current state analysis of the different organizations supporting smart meter rollout, with a focus on Organizational Change Management (OCM) needs.
- Developing a project plan focused on OCM and coordinating with other components of larger project.
- Develop an engagement model and communications plan.
2. Work effectively with all relevant stakeholders.
- Identify and work with all key stakeholders from a business perspective (internal project, executive sponsors, customer care organizations) and technology perspective (security, back-end IT , etc.)
- Readiness assessment: visit and interview key stakeholders and conduct interviews to assess OCM needs.
- Identify and tailor OCM products (communication, training, etc.) accordingly.
- Develop final products and update regularly/as needed.
- Coach executives and develop change agents.
- Regular project meetings for internal project teams and coordinating/connecting stakeholders across the larger program as necessary.
3. Execute with ease and speed.
- Once agreement of requirements around communications and training is reached, work quickly with a small development team to produce final products.
- Review draft versions with key stakeholders and pilot as necessary.
4. Move as one organization towards a common vision or goal.
- Regularly pulsing business owners on progress, concerns, questions, etc.
- Project coordination with internal project team members.